Call for Proposals
ACTE’s CareerTech VISION is the premier annual gathering of career and technical education (CTE) professionals in an exciting, educational, informative and inspirational agenda packed with sessions, an expo show and career pavilion, awards and recognition, and a rich array of networking opportunities.
Thank you for your interest in helping to mold and shape the program for ACTE’s CareerTech VISION 2020. VISION 2020 will be held Dec. 2–5, 2020 at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center in Nashville, Tennessee.
We seek high-quality proposals that address a full range of issues facing CTE educators, administrators and other key stakeholders as they strive to prepare students with the knowledge and skills to succeed in the 21st century economy.
Our selection committee will focus on innovative ideas or new approaches to key challenges within CTE, and they will choose sessions that feature evidence-based, high-quality career and technical education program of study elements. Quality sessions will engage the audience and provide attendees with practical, “how to” ideas and resources that directly impact CTE programs and student achievement. Sessions are typically 60 minutes in length and should allow time for questions. The deadline for presentation proposal submissions is Feb. 29, 2020.
Please read ALL of this information before submitting a proposal
Call for Proposal System
You must submit your proposal using our online system. Emailed, faxed and mailed proposals will not be accepted. You must create an account through our website in order to submit your proposal. If you previously submitted a proposal for VISION, you already have an account. Please use the search function to locate your account. If you are submitting a proposal for the first time, you will need to create an account.
Submitting a Proposal
The information gathered during this process will be used to promote the programming at VISION and to prepare marketing materials. Please be sure that the information you provide is complete, accurate and grammatically correct.
Below are the questions that you will be asked during the proposal submission.
- Title of Session (Required): 10 word maximum; may be edited for publication
- Short Session Description (Required): 50 words maximum; may be edited for publication
- Program Session Information(Required)
- Which sector of CTE is your session primarily targeted toward:
- Secondary CTE (middle school and high school programs)
- Postsecondary CTE (also including programs for adults/dislocated workers, apprenticeships, etc)
- Cross-sector (applicable across sectors or specifically about cross-system alignment)
- Which of the following audiences is your session primarily targeted toward:
- Teacher/Faculty: Individuals responsible for direct program operation and classroom instruction
- Administrator: Individuals responsible for oversight of multiple CTE programs
or program areas (including individuals at the institution, district/region or state level)
- Career Development/Work-based Learning Professional: Individuals that aid students in engaging in career development activities (including school counselors, college advisers, work-based learning coordinators, placement coordinators, etc)
- Is your session primarily intended to be deliver content related to general instructional strategies applicable across CTE subject areas, or specific to one CTE discipline?
- Applicable across multiple programs (e.g., classroom management, integration of academics into CTE, career planning, use of data, etc.)
- Applicable to one specific discipline area (e.g., agriculture or health sciences — you will have an opportunity to choose below)
If the answer to Question 3 was ‘b’
- Which program area:
- Business Education
- Engineering and Technology Education
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Health Science Education
- Marketing Education
- Trade and Industrial Education
- Please choose the quality elements that align best with your proposed session. You may choose up to three; please rank them in the order that they are applicable to the content you plan to present. Rank the element ‘1’ that most closely aligns with the primary topic of your session, followed by ‘2’ and ‘3’. Full Descriptions of the elements are available at acteonline.org/high-quality-CTE-tools.
- Standards-aligned and Integrated Curriculum
- Sequencing and Articulation
- Student Assessment
- Engaging Instruction
- Prepared and Effective Program Staff
- Access and Equity
- Business and Community Partnerships
- Student Career Development
- Facilities, Equipment, Technology and Materials
- Work-based Learning
- Career and Technical Student Organizations
- Data and Program Improvement
- NEW: System Supports (Policy, Funding, Research, Systems and Labor Market Alignment, Career Clusters, Marketing, etc.)
- Session Learning Objectives (Required): Provide 3–5 specific objectives that describe what participants will learn or gain from the session.
- Evidence Base (Required): In 100 words maximum, describe how the session addresses an evidence-based program/practice (with research findings or positive evaluation linked to student outcomes) or incorporates other relevant research and data to demonstrate the quality of the content.
- Innovation (Required): In 100 words maximum, describe how the session addresses an innovative program/practice or provides new ideas or approaches within CTE.
- Audience Engagement (Required): In 100 words maximum, describe how the session will engage a diverse audience and allow for audience participation or interaction.
- Practical Application Required): In 100 words maximum, describe practices or resources that attendees will be able to take home and use in their schools, institutions or classrooms. These could include handouts, website links for further information and/or specific, actionable strategies.
- Presenter(s) Full Contact Information (Required):
- First and Last Name
- Organization/Company/Institution Name – no acronyms
- Organization/Company/Institution Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Presenter Bio (Required): 150 words maximum
- Presenter Headshot for Use on the Website/app (Required): Photo must not be larger than 1024 pixels and must be in RGB color format.
Proposals promoting products, materials or services will not be considered for program sessions. Individuals who wish to present an exhibitor workshop should contact Jim Waterhouse at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to help to clarify this rule, please consider the following:
· Program sessions that include ANY relationship with a for-profit entity as presenters must include the names and contact information in the CFP.
· ACTE encourages and welcomes program session content that relates to employers/business and industry in the context of a component of a CTE program, such as work-based learning, business advisory groups and linkages to school-based activities.
· While ACTE greatly appreciates companies that support CTE and education through products and services, the promotion and sale of products and services during program sessions is strictly prohibited. ACTE’s CareerTech VISION includes a series of exhibitor workshops designed for this purpose.
o Example of what is prohibited: Session is built around a product and all content focuses on the product.
o Example of what could be allowed: Session mentions a product in relation to the topic but only in passing and in reference to the content of the session.
· ACTE will monitor program session feedback to ensure that session content is appropriate. Thank you for your adherence to these rules!
VISION 2020 AND CAREERTECH EXPO
BY Sept. 4
FROM Sept. 5 - Oct. 23
AFTER Oct. 23
VISION & CareerTech Expo ACTE Member
VISION & CareerTech Expo Non-member
- Part of effective professional development is providing meaningful presentation materials and online resources that allow the participants to further their learning experience. It is expected that presenters provide electronic presentation materials, handouts and/ or follow-up materials for participants before, during, or after the event. Presenters are expected to develop effective interactive activities to ensure participants experience the best professional development opportunity.
- Accepted speakers and co-speakers are responsible for ALL VISION 2020 related expenses, including speaker registration, travel, lodging and meals.
By submitting a proposal you agree to present at any time during the meeting. Program sessions will be scheduled on Thursday, December 3, Friday, December 4, or Saturday, December 5. Sessions will be 60 minutes in length.
- Proposals that include open flame cooking demonstrations will not be accepted due to fire regulations.
- If you are submitting a proposal on someone’s behalf, please do not submit your contact information. The information entered will appear on our website and other marketing materials. Please submit the information for the actual speaker(s). Please make sure you do not use all caps when entering speaker information.
- Each person may submit a maximum of two proposals. If you submit more than one proposal, please be sure to submit them both under one username and password. Please do not create a second username and password when submitting subsequent proposals.
- Once your presentation has been successfully submitted or saved for edit later, you will receive a confirmation email (usually within 24 hours). If you do not receive a confirmation email that means your presentation was not successfully submitted or saved. Presentations that have not been successfully completed and submitted will not be reviewed and will automatically be removed from our database.
By submitting a proposal for ACTE's CareerTech VISION 2020, you agree to:
- Pay a registration fee.
- Present your session on Thursday, Dec. 3, Friday, Dec. 4, or Saturday, Dec. 5.
- Permit ACTE to edit presentation titles and descriptions for length and content.
- Agree to allow ACTE to use your session and contact information for promotion.
- Permit ACTE to record and redistribute your session for marketing purposes.
Submitters will be notified about the status of their proposal via email by the end of April.
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.